Dr. Girish Chandran
Qualification:M.Sc., (CSIR-JRF-NET), Ph.D., Post Doc (USA)
Area of Specialization: Neurodegenerative disorders: Mechanism and Therapeutic strategies, Drosophotoxicology
Subject Handled: Biochemical techniques, Clinical Biochemistry, Lipid Metabolism, Enzymology, Biotechnology, Molecular biology, Cell Biology.
Research experience: Teaching :3 years, Research: 11 years
Publications: International : 9
Paper Presented: 3
Workshop /Conference / Seminar/ FDP attended (Give Numbers) : Workshop:3, Conference:18, Seminar: 1, FDP:3
As an organizing secretary for One day National Seminar.
Member of professional bodies:
- Life member of “Society for Mitochondrial Research in Medicine-India”.
- Junior Member of Motor Disorder Society (International)
- Member of “Society for Neuroscience” (International)
- Guided 25 MSc students for the project
- Board of Examination, DOS in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Mysuru
- Board of Examination, DOS in Molecular Biology, University of Mysore, Mysuru
Honors and Awards:
- CSIR JRF for the research work
- Startup Project “Compost Clean” awarded by New Age Incubation Network (NAIN), The KarnatakaInformation Technology Services (KITS), Govt. of Karnataka (2018)
- Startup project “cupcycle” shortlisted for final scrutiny, by Institute NAIN, Pooja Bhagavat MMEC, Mysuru
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) travel Scholarship-2012: 7th International Symposium on Neuroprotection and Neurorepair (Neurorepair2012) May 2-5, Potsdam, Germany.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) (India) travel grant-2013: for attending “MDPD 2013” held at Seoul, Republic of Korea, April 18-21.
- CICS (India) partial financial support-2013: for attending “MDPD 2013” held at Seoul, Republic of Korea, April 18-21.
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) Travel grant-2013: for attending “WCN 2013” held at Vienna, Austria, Sep 21-26.
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)-Society for Neuroscience (SFN) travel award-2017: for attending Neuroscience 2017, Society for Neuroscience, Nov 11-15, 2017, Washington DC, USA
- European Stroke Organization Conference (ESOC) International Travel award, European Stroke Organization Conference, May 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden.International Congress Travel Grant Award to participate in the International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders, September 22 – 26, 2019 in Nice, France
- Book Chapter: Girish Chandran, Smitha Grace S.R., Jyoti Bala Chauhan. (2019) Fern to Pharma: Potential Neuroameliorative Properties of Pteridophytes. In: Ozturk M., Hakeem K. (Eds) Plant and Human Health, Volume 3. Springer International.
- Book Chapter: Smitha Grace S.R., Girish Chandran, Jyoti Bala Chauhan, (2019) Terpenoids: An Activator of “Fuel-Sensing Enzyme AMPK” with Special Emphasis on Antidiabetic Activity. In: Ozturk M., Hakeem K. (eds) Plant and Human Health, Volume 2. Springer International.
- Book Chapter: Girish Chandran, Lalith Kumar V and Muralidhara, 2015. Biflavonoids: Therapeutic potential of novel flavonoid dimers. In: Govil, J.N. and Pathak, M. eds. Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants Volume 40 – Flavonoids and Antioxidants. Studium Press LLC, U.S.A. pp.316-330.
- Review: Girish Chandran and Muralidhara, 2014. Insights on the Neuromodulatory propensity of Selaginella (Sanjeevani) and its potential pharmacological applications. CNS Neurological Disorders and Drug Targets, 13, 82-95.
- Girish Chandran and Muralidhara, 2013. Neuroprotective Effect of Aqueous Extract of Selaginella delicatula as Evidenced by Abrogation of Rotenone-Induced Motor Deficits, Oxidative Dysfunctions, and Neurotoxicity in Mice. Cell Mol Neurosci 33(7), 929-942.
- Girish Chandran and Muralidhara 2012. Neuromodulatory potential of Selaginella delicatula aqueous extract against Rotenone induced oxidative dysfunctions and neurotoxicity in Drosophila melanogaster. NeuroToxicology 33(3), 444–456.