Dr. Jyoti Bala Chauhan
Qualification: M.Sc ., M.Phil., Ph.D., PDF.
Area of Specialization: Secondary metabolites of Cyanobacteria, Cyanobacterial Physiology Bioactive compounds, Phytochemistry, Secondary Metabolites ,Bioactive compounds from Plants and Algae & nutraceuticals
Ph.D. Students Guided : 1 student has been awarded with Ph.D.; 1 student is currently pursuing the Ph.D.
Special skills (Research): Secondary Metabolites from Cyanobacteria, Cyanobacterial Physiology,Bioactive Compounnds And Neutraceuticals from Plants and Algae
Subject Handled: Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunotechnology, Plant tissue culture, Physiology & Nutrition, Mycology, Natural products and drug discovery, Molecular plant pathology, Animal biotechnology
Research experience: Teaching: 18 years, Research: 24 years, Industry: 4 years
Publications : International : 35, National : 24
Paper Presented: 15
Workshop /Conference / Seminar/ FDP attended (Give Numbers):
Workshop:4, Conference:10, Seminar: 12, FDP:4
Membership in Professional bodies: Association of Microbiologists of India
- Member of curriculum committee & lesson writing: For JSS KARNATAKA OPEN SCHOOL in collaboration with COMMONWEALTH EDUCATIONAL MEDIA CENTRE FOR ASIA (CEMCA) NEW DELHI on the module entitled” GERIATRIC CARE ASSISTANCE” –
- Board of Examination, DOS in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Mysuru
Honors and Awards:
- Co-coordinator for DST-FIST award from Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India.
- As Principal Investigator UGC Sponsored Major Project on “Isolation & Characterization of Bioactive Compounds from Bilimbi & Star Fruit
- VGST Funded K-FIST Award on Studies on “Isolation & Characterization of Algalicidal Metabolites from Bloom Forming Cyanobacteria of local bodies from Department of IT & BT , GOK
Any Other: DST workshop on Molecular Biology
Book Chapter co-authored:
- Chauhan J.B., Chandran, G. Plasma levels of markers for therapeutic advances among breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, (2019) JETIR, 6, 507-510
- Girish Chandran, S. R. Smitha Grace, and Jyoti Bala Chauhan , Fern to Pharma: Potential Neuroameliorative Properties of Pteridophytes, © Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019 M. Ozturk, K. R. Hakeem (eds.), Plant and Human Health, Volume 3, 195- 205.
- Chauhan, J.B., Grace, S.R.S. In vitro screening of freshwater cyanobacterium Oscillatoria sp. for anti-inflammatory activities (2020). Journal of Xidian University, 14, 1900-1905.
- R. Smitha Grace, Girish Chandran, and Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Terpenoids: An Activator of “Fuel-Sensing Enzyme AMPK” with Special Emphasis on Antidiabetic Activity , © Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019 227 M. Ozturk, K. R. Hakeem (eds.), Plant and Human Health, Volume 2, 227-244.
- Harish, R., & Chauhan, J. B. (2019). Antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytoprotective action of ethanolic extract of Glycyrrhiza glabra root against ccl4 induced damage on Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 8(3),247-253
- Divya, K. S., Harshitha, B. S., & Dilip Kumar, R. Chauhan, J. B. In vitro investigation of antioxidant potentiality of methanol and silver nanoparticles extract from Trigonella foenum-graecum(2019) .Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 8(3), 2213-2221.
- Divya, K. S., Duth, A. G., & Chauhan, J. B. (2018). A study on the phytochemical and antibacterial activity of Phyllanthus niruri against the isolates of poultry feeds. J Pharmacogn Phytochem, 7(3), 910-6.
- Harish, R., & Chauhan, J. B. Oxidative stress induced radical scavenging, antimicrobial and cytoprotective potential on Saccharomyces cerevisiae by ethanolic extract of Melia dubia fruit pulp. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 7(3) 1571-1575,
- Grace, S.R.S., Chauhan, J. B., & Hemanth, K. K. (2017). In vitro anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activity in methanolic peel extracts of Persea americana. World J Pharmaceut Life Sci, 3, 195-199.
- Mahadesh, P. A., Chauhan, J. B., Kavyashree, B. M., Vijith, K. N., Anjali, A., Javarappa, K. K., & Guruprasada, R. S. (2016). Human serum paraoxonase (PON1) activity down regulates with age: A case study in south Indian population. Asian Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 6(3), 170-176.
- Zameer, F., Rukmangada, M. S., Chauhan, J. B., Khanum, S. A., Kumar, P., Devi, A. T., A.T., Nagendra Prasad, M.N., Dhananjaya, B. L. (2016). Evaluation of adhesive and anti-adhesive properties of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms and their inhibition by herbal plants. Iranian Journal of Microbiology, 8(2), 108.
- Chauhan, J. B., Kapfo, W., Gulnaz, A. R. (2015). In vitro comparative study of Bilimbi and Star fruit extracts for Anthelmintic activity. r fruit extracts for Anthelmintic activity, Discovery Biotechnology, 6(15), 5-8.
- Renukarya, C. K., Kumar, H. K., Chauhan, J. B. (2015). Studies on the flora of Mahajana PG campus. Journal of Scientific and Innovative Research, 4(5), 207-212.
- Urs, R. S. K., & Chauhan, J. B. (2015). Phytochemical screening, Antimicrobial activity and Anti oxidant activity of CostusIgneus. European J Molecular Bio and Biochemistry, 2(2), 93-96,
- Chauhan, J. B., Kapfo, W., Gulnaz, A. R. (2015). In vitro comparative study of Bilimbi and Star fruit extracts for Anthelmintic activity. Doscovery Biotechnology, 6(15), 5-8.
- Chauhan, J. B., Kapfo, W., Harshitha, B. C. (2014). Evaluation of the antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of Nostoc linckia isolates from Kukkarahalli Lake, Mysore. Inteern. J. Appl. Bio Pharm Tech, 5, 240-248.
- Gulnaz, A. R., Kapfo, W., Chauhan, J. B. (2014). In vitro anthelminthic and anti-inflammatory activity of ethanolic extract of Randia uliginosa DC Leaf. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 3(9), 793-799
- Kapfo, W., Grace, S. S., Chauhan, J. B., Yadav, J. K. (2013). Effect of non aqueous solvent on structural stability of α-amylase: A cost-effective prospective for protein stabilization. Process Biochemistry, 48(7), 1025-1030.
- Urs, R.S. K., Kumar, H. N., Chandana, E., Chauhan, J. B. (2013). Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of Cucumis dipsaceus. J Microbiol Biotechnol Res, 3, 32-40.
- Gurupadaswamy, H. D., Girish, V., Zameer, F., Hegdekatte, R., Chauhan, J. B., Khanum, S. A. (2013). Synthesis of Pyrimidones and Evaluation of Their Xanthine Oxidase Inhibitory and Antioxidant Activities. Archiv der Pharmazie, 346(11), 805-811.
- Yadav, J.K., Prajakt PR, P., Chauhan, J. B. (2010). Counter effect of sucrose on ethanol-induced aggregation of protein. Protein and peptide letters, 17(12), 1542-1546.
- Wilfred, A., Kishore, V., Kumar, H. N., Chauhan, J. B. (2010). In Vitro Propagation of Solanum nigrum L., a Medicinal Herb. IUP Journal of Biotechnology, 4(4).
- Hanumanthachar, J., Navneet, K., Chauhan, J. B. (2007). Evaluation of Nootropic effect of Argyreia speciosa in mice. Journal of health science, 53(4), 382-388.
- Bagchi, S. N., Chauhan,, V. S., Marwah, J. B. (1993). Effect of an antibiotic fromOscillatoria late-virens on growth, photosynthesis, and toxicity ofmicrocystis aeruginosa. Current Microbiology, 26(4), 223-228
- Chauhan,, V. S., Marwah, J. B., Bagchi, S. N. (1992). Effect of an antibiotic from Oscillatoria sp. on phytoplankters, higher plants and mice. New phytologist, 120(2),251257
- Bagchi, S. N., Chauhan,, V. S., Marwah, J. B. (1993). Effect of an antibiotic fromOscillatoria late-virens on growth, photosynthesis, and toxicity ofmicrocystis aeruginosa. Current Microbiology, 26(4), 223-228.
- Bagchi, S. N., Marwah, J. B. (1994). Production of an algicide from cyanobacterium Fischerella species which inhibits photosynthetic electron transport. Microbios, 79(320), 187-193
- Marwah, J. B., Shakila, T. M., Rao, N. S., Bagchi, S. N. (1995). Detoxification of a local Microcystis bloom by an algicidal antibiotic from Oscillatoria late-virens. Indian journal of experimental biology, 33(2), 97-100.
- Bagchi, S. N., Marwah, J. B. (1996). Selection by means of acridine orange renders defect in algicide production and carrier-mediated release in a cyanobacterium, Oscillatoria late-virens. Cytobios, 87(350), 181-188.
- Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Girish Chandran Plasma levels of markers for therapeutic advances among breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy , JETIR May 2019, Volume 6, Issue 5 ,507-510.
- Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Rathi .H.R , Isolation of oscillatoria from fresh waterbodies of Mysuru city, characterization of bioactives: Relevance to antioxidant therapy, Volume 6, Issue 2 April 2018 ,807-811.
- N. Krishna Kumar and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2017. Phytochemical screening, Antioxidant and Alpha amylase inhibitory activity of Phyllanthu acidus. International Journal of Pharma and Chemical Research. 3(3):
- Smitha Grace S.R, Jyoti Bala Chauhan and Hemanth Kumar. K , In Vitro Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Arthritic Activity in Methanolic Peel Extracts Of Persea Americana , wjpls, 2017, Vol. 3, Issue 4, 195-199.
- R and Jyoti Bala Chauhan (2017). Isolation, Characterization of Protease Producing Microbes from Soil of Agriculture Land and Purifcation of Protease. Int J Pharma Res Health Sci. 2017; 5 (1): 1581-1585
- Divya KS and Jyothi Bala Chauhan. 2017. Phytochemical analysis and evaluation on leaf of the medicinal herb, Sesbania grandiflora for in vitro antioxidant activities, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 6(6):984-994.
- Girish Chandran, Kavya Sugur, Jyoti Bala Chauhan. Neuromodulatory Properties of Dietary Components against Acrylamide model of Drosophila Melanogaster.Eur JPharmaceutical Med Res (EJPMR), 2017, 4(6), 550-554.
- B, Padmini N and Jyothi Bala Chauhan. 2017. In vitro evaluation antibacterial Potentiality of aqueous extract of Operculina turpethum (L.) Silva (root) against important species of bacteria. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research (EJPMR). ISSN: 2394-3211. (In press) Impact Factor: 4.161.
- Jyoti B Chauhan , Balaji K, Jayarama S, Wethroe Kapfo (2016) Evaluation of Apoptogenic Effects Of Averrhoa Bilimbi Extract On Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma Bearing Mice Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 9, Suppl. 3, 2016, 348-352.
- Jyoti Bala Chauhanand Wethroe Kapfo. 2016, Effect of traditional sun drying on indigenous star fruit (Averrhoa carambola), International Journal of Plant Animal and Environmental Science Volume-6, Issue-1:121-132.
- Harish .R & Jyoti Bala Chauhan(2016),Antioxidant & cytoprotective action of aqueous extracts of citrus sinensis fruit peel against endosulfan induced damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, International Journal of Pharma research & health Science 4(1), 954-960.
- Divya K.S & Jyoti Bala Chauhan(2016), study of bacterial activity in Coorg & Wynand districts ,western Ghats ,Journal of chemical,biological ,Physcal Science 6(2): 175-179.
- Naveen Y.P ,Venugopal and Jyoti Bala Chauhan(2016) ,Antiglycation and aldole reduction activity of swietenia malragini leaf extract ,European Journal of Pharmaceutical and medical research ,631-634.
- Smitha Grace S.R*, Jyoti Bala Chauhanand Chaithra Ratnakar Jain in vitro alpha amylase inhibitory effect and antioxidant activity by peel and seed extracts of Persea americana , wjpls, 2016, Vol. 2, Issue 3, 261-269. R
- Antiangiogenic and proapoptotic activity of Averrhoa carambola L. Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Wethroe Kapfo, Shankar Jayarama, and Kyathegowdanadoddi S Balaji. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 6: 246- 254
- In vitro comparative study of Bilimbi and Star fruit extracts for Anthelmintic activity. Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Wethroe Kapfo, Gulnaz AR. Discovery Biotechnology, 2015, 6(15), 5-8
- Smitha Grace S. R*, Jyoti Bala Chauhanand Chaithra Ratnakar Jain Preliminary Phytochemical Investigation and TLC Analysis Of Peel And Seed Extracts Of Persea americana , Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science & Technology Vol 5,Issue 3, 2015.167-171
- R, Pooja.v and Jyoti Bala Chauhan(2015). Anti radical activity and cytoprotective effect of Sauropaus Androgynous against oxidative damage induced by CCl4 in yeast cells. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour. 5 (1):31-37.
- Ramya Urs SK and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. Phytochemical screening, antimicrobial activity and antioxidant activity of costus igneus. European journal of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. 2015: 2(2): 93-96
- Divya K.S., Ramya Urs S.K. and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2015. Isolation of extracellular proteins from soil. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 5(3):1-3
- Evaluation of the antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of Nostoc linckia isolated from Kukarrahalli lake, Mysore. Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Wethroe Kapfo and Harshitha B.C. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology, 5, (2014)
- In vitro anthelminthic and anti-inflammatory activity of ethanolic extract of Randia uliginosa DC Leaf. A.R.Gulnaz, Wethroe Kapfo and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 3, (2014)
- Effect of non aqueous solvent on structural stability of α-amylase: a cost-effective prospective for protein stabilization. Wethroe Kapfo, Smitha Grace S. R.Jyoti Bala Chauhanand Jay Kant Yadav, Process Biochemistry, 48, 1025- 1030 (2013)
- Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Wethroe Kapfo, Shankar Jayarama, and Kyathegowdanadoddi S Balaji. Antiangiogenic and proapoptotic activity of Averrhoa carambola L. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 6: 246- 254
- Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Wethroe Kapfo, Gulnaz AR In vitro comparative study of Bilimbi and Star fruit extracts for Anthelmintic activity Discovery Biotechnology, 2015, 6(15), 5-8
- N. Krishna Kumar and Jyoti Bala Chauhan.2014. Studies on the free radical scavenging activity of Calamus prasinus.Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Research. In press
- N. Krishna Kumar, S.D Preethi and Jyoti Bala Chauhan2013. Free radical scavenging activity of Roystonea regia. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 3(3):5-9
- K. Ramya Urs, H. N. Krishna Kumar, E. Chandana and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2013. Evaluation of the antioxidant activity ofCucumis dipsaceus. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Research. 3 (3):32-40.
- N. Krishna Kumar, S.D Preethi, E. Chandana andJyoti Bala Chauhan 2012. Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of Stachytarpheta indica. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 3(6): 1684-1687
- N. Krishna Kumar, E. Chandana, S.D. Preethi and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2012. In vitro antimicrobial activity and phytochemical screening of Aloe vera Linn. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 4(3): 45-47.
- N. Krishna Kumar, S. D. Preethi and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2012. Studies on the in vitro propagation of Calamus travancoricus. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 2 (2):173-179.
- N. Krishna Kumar, S.D. Preethi and Jyoti Bala Chauhan2012. Studies on the antioxidant activity of Actinorhytis calapparia. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 3(2): 50-55.
- Effect of Traditional Sun- Drying on phenolic antioxidants of Averrhoa bilimbi L. Jyoti Bala Chauhanand Wethroe Kapfo. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology ISSN 0976-4550 (2013)
- N. Krishna Kumar E. Chandana and Jyoti Bala Chauhan2012. In vitro propagation of Calamus nagbettai – An endangered plant. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Research. 2 (2):270-275.
- N. Krishna Kumar S.D Preethi, E. Chandana and Jyoti Bala Chauhan. 2012. Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of Stachytarpheta indica. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 3(6): 1684-1687.
- Wilfred, V. Kishore, H.N. Krishna Kumar and Jyoti Bala Chauhan2010. In vitro propagation of Solanum nigrum L. – A medicinal herb. The IUP Journal of Biotechnology. IV (4): 53-59.
PAPERS PRESENTED IN SYMPOSIA/CONFERENCES:
- Veda V. Hegde, Smitha Grace SR, Jyoti Bala Chauhan, Girish Chandran, 2017. Scope of novel phytoconstituents as anti-analgesic and anti -depressant strategies against chronic rat model. 7th Indo-Euro International Conference on Holistic Medicine at Kottayam , Sep 11- 17, 2017, organized by Mahatma Gandhi university, Kerala, India.(1st Prize)
- Anti-hyperlipidemic activity of Persea Americana peel extracts against high-fat diet in rats 7th Indo-Euro International Conference on Holistic Medicine at Kottayam , Sep 11- 17, 2017, organized by Mahatma Gandhi university, Kerala, India.(1st Prize)
- Pavan LN, Smitha Grace S.R, Girish Chandran & Jyoti Bala Chauhan chemotherapeutic potential of Prosapogenin A, a promoter of metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells. 7th Indo-Euro International Conference on Holistic Medicine at Kottayam Sep 15-17, 2017, organized by Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India.